Join us as a C++ Developer
« Beauty is the ultimate defense against complexity. »
Do you believe in beauty when it comes to programming? Do you have a vivid interest in elegant algorithms? Are you fluent in C++? If so, we would like to meet you.
About our software
Since 2002, think-cell produces graphics software that performs most of the painstaking work of creating data-driven slides for professional Excel and PowerPoint users. PowerPoint slide creation is one of the most popular things professionals use a computer for. Thus, it is rather surprising that while intelligent software revolutionized many things we frequently do, such as web search in our browser, or telephone speech recognition in a call center, office productivity software has not changed much over the past decade or so.
- We developed a new algorithm for automatic point cloud labeling that allows labels to be positioned away from the actual points.
- We developed a new algorithm for automatic column chart labeling.
- We are working with John Forrest – author of the linear solver CLP – to make his simplex code faster on our kind of problems.
- We developed quite a few generic data structures that are not in C++ or Boost, for example partitions.
- To do things which are not possible via the documented Microsoft Office API, we do lots of reverse engineering with the disassembler IDA from Hex-Rays.
- We wrote probably the best function hooking engine out there. On each start of our software, we patch the Microsoft Office executables in memory. We search for small chunks of assembly code rather than hard-coding patch addresses to be robust against minor code modifications.
- We redirect PowerPoint's and Excel's window contents into offscreen buffers and use Direct3D 9.0 to render our user interface on top.
- We fund the working group for programming languages of the German Institute for Standardization (DIN). Some of our employees are members in this committee and vote in the international standardization process of ISO/IEC C++.
- We have already switched to C++11 functionality in many places, in particular lambdas and rvalue references.
- We use Boost throughout our code, e.g., Boost.Spirit for most of our parsing needs.
- We have our own reference-counting and persistence libraries to save and restore whole object trees.
- We wrote a parser and writer for the Excel .xls format.
- We have an extensive bug reporting infrastructure. Assertions and error checks stay in the release code, and our software automatically reports bugs to our server. The server analyzes the bug, categorizes it and files it in a database that all developers can access. If an update fixes the bug, the user can download the update directly from a bug response web page.
About this job
We are looking for smart, creative developers with a solid theoretical background. You should be able to look at a problem from the user's perspective, discuss abstract concepts with fellow developers, as well as produce an elegant implementation. Developers we have hired in the past mostly hold an exceptional master's degree in computer science or even a doctorate.
At think-cell, we like flat hierarchies. You will work largely independently and will be responsible for the whole range of activities when implementing a new feature. We expect each of our developers to do architecture, design, implementation, customer feedback and bug fixing, rather than splitting these activities between several people. We thus minimize communication losses and put everyone in control of their own work. Your ideas are welcome, even if they mean that we have to change a lot of code to make things better.
We have published several scientific articles in the areas of Artificial Intelligence and Computer Graphics and we will encourage you to do the same. We sponsor visits to conferences and have close connections to universities and research institutes in the U.S. and Germany.
Find out more about our company and our working environment on the career overview page.
If you think that you are the one missing from our team then please send your electronic application to our HR department.